Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Base Metabolic rate

Hi I estimate my BMR using an online calculator based on height, weight, age, gender.

Is there any setting I can make on my Apple Watch So I can see this BMR over the space of a day?

I wondered whether I could use Total Calories - Active calories = Real BMR? Would it be best to set the activity as Indoor Walk for the whole of the day?

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 11:31 AM

Hey there Jetdefloor,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you wish to track your daily BMR using your Apple Watch. We've got just the thing to help you out.

Upon our research, we located a similar Community post. Review the following to determine if it answers your question: Does Apple iwatch 2 configure your BMR (basal metabolic rate) based on age, height, and weight?

Hopefully it helps out, take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 11:31 AM in response to Jetdefloor

Hey there Jetdefloor,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you wish to track your daily BMR using your Apple Watch. We've got just the thing to help you out.

Upon our research, we located a similar Community post. Review the following to determine if it answers your question: Does Apple iwatch 2 configure your BMR (basal metabolic rate) based on age, height, and weight?

Hopefully it helps out, take care!

Feb 24, 2021 11:42 AM in response to Jetdefloor

The Apple Watch likely uses the Harris-Benedict Equation which uses your age, height, weight and gender to calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. The caloric figure from this equation is then added to your Active calories to get your Total Calories.

The Harris–Benedict equations

Men BMR = (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) + 5

Women BMR = (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) - 161

Base Metabolic rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.