Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking folders

I originally had 2 "personalities" on my old computer. When I bought a new computer and used Time Machine to install everything, of course the two personalities came over. I was able to copy and delete all the info from one and delete one user. My problem is that several folders on my computer are password protected (a LOT of folders) and to manually unlock them using the Command-I function and inserting the password each time is incredibly time consuming. Is there an overall way to say all folders can be opened by me? I am now the only user on this new computer.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 12:30 PM

Second reply.

Eric, thank you so much. I think I found a way to solve this problem, by going to the subfolders under the one I was trying to fix. I was able to fix all the subfolders using your suggestion. Yay!

Thank you.

Catherien

5 replies

Feb 24, 2021 11:53 AM in response to cat00x

Hello cat00x,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with permissions issues on your Mac.

The best option is to fine the main folder where everything is located, and change the permissions for that main folder, and everything within using the “Apply to enclosed items" option.

This article will help: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Feb 24, 2021 12:21 PM in response to Eric--F

Thanks, Eric, so much for your answer. I tried the suggestions, and the "Apply to enclosed items" is greyed out and unaccessible. I unlocked the padlock. I also clicked "shared folder" above to see if that would make a difference and it didn't. I added "Admin" to see if that would work and it didn't. Any other suggestions? I appreciate your time.

Catherine

Unlocking folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.