Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows go off the 2nd monitor screen after monitors awaken after sleep

I have two monitors. One for the macbook laptop and when I plug in the second one : a HP 2509m.

After the upgrade to Big Sur the windows I place in the second monitor go off screen after I leave the macbook unattended and the screens go off. I have to move them back to the Mac monitor before moving them back to my HP screen.

I tried some suggestions like Mission Control with only Displays have separate Spaces checked. No luck.

Each time the monitors go to sleep and I go back to my desktop the windows I moved to the big monitor go off the left.

3 finger swiping shows them again and I have to then again move them to the macbook screen to see them again.

Very tiresome and cumbersome experience.

Current Big Sur version is 11.0.1

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 8:33 AM

Hello waltershowalter,

We understand that the positions of windows on your second external monitor are reset after waking your MacBook from sleep. So that we can look into this with you, could you let us know first what exact model/year MacBook that you have? You can find it under the Apple menu > About This Mac.

First, try updating to macOS 11.2.1 and restarting the computer. Then check to see if there are any firmware updates available for your external monitors.

How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, please reply back to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Thanks!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 8:33 AM in response to waltershowalter

Hello waltershowalter,

We understand that the positions of windows on your second external monitor are reset after waking your MacBook from sleep. So that we can look into this with you, could you let us know first what exact model/year MacBook that you have? You can find it under the Apple menu > About This Mac.

First, try updating to macOS 11.2.1 and restarting the computer. Then check to see if there are any firmware updates available for your external monitors.

How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, please reply back to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Thanks!

Windows go off the 2nd monitor screen after monitors awaken after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.