Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple trade in

Just trying to check my phones worth on Apple trade in....

I get to the serial number and it says

“The serial number entered does not match the device selected”...

I got this phone from apples website so I know it’s brand new, serial number on the box matches device so it’s not that either. The phone is still within its warranty, could this be the reason or is there something else?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:43 PM

LauraLevett wrote:

I’m very confused.

You’re trying to check the trade-in value of your new iPhone XR.

So presumably you start here.

Apple Trade In - Apple

Then you go to this area on that page:

Then you enter the data for your iPhone XR. But you are never asked for a serial number when proceeding this way! And here’s what you see if the device is in good condition:

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 1:43 PM in response to LauraLevett

LauraLevett wrote:

I’m very confused.

You’re trying to check the trade-in value of your new iPhone XR.

So presumably you start here.

Apple Trade In - Apple

Then you go to this area on that page:

Then you enter the data for your iPhone XR. But you are never asked for a serial number when proceeding this way! And here’s what you see if the device is in good condition:

Feb 23, 2021 1:50 PM in response to sberman

I’m looking at a particular model that I’m interested in getting but trading my phone in this way...

so it asks me whilst on the page if I have a device to trade in (to bring price of the phone down) then it goes through all the details of my current phone (model, capacity, serial number) to check the correct value of my phone, but it just won’t accept my serial number for a reason I’m unsure of

Feb 23, 2021 2:15 PM in response to LauraLevett

OK, thanks for clarifying. I understand. You’re in Great Britain and I’m in the U.S. Even when purchasing an iPhone 12 Pro here, we are not asked for the serial number of the iPhone XR to be traded. Did you purchase this iPhone in your home country?

Otherwise, I’m not sure why the number would not be accepted. I assume your mom’s trade went through a similar process without any issue.

Apple trade in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.