Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G3 Power cord

I lost my power cord of my power book G3, I went to several apple stores in Minneapolis area and I can not find, They told me that that the cord does not exist any more in the market. do you know where I can buy this power cord?

Powerbook G3

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 12:24 PM

There are two models of yo-yo style power adapter that are almost identical, but not quite interchangeable. Part numbers alone are not reliable enough. The yo-yo parts all carry "M7332" as if it were a part number.

The ones for G3 PowerBooks and clamshell iBooks have a translucent DC power plug for the computer AND says "Apple 45W Power Adapter". The model for the next generation looks identical, has the same power output, but has an opaque BLACK DC plug for the computer. It may have a slightly different wording, but is still 45W.

There are no spare parts available (except the AC cord) and the yo-yo is glued shut, so repair is nearly impossible.

There have always been some for sale, new and used, on eBay. I think they must be still making them in the Far East.

When you get another one, iBook owners use a "trick" to keep from fraying the cord at the yo-yo. Never unwind the last loop of cord off the yo-yo, and it will not have one single spot to fray and short out.

Apple had a recall program on the M4402 black "brick" that preceded and is compatible with these. Someone then decided to start a class action lawsuit and managed to kill the goose that laid the golden egg (free yo-yo replacement power supplies). I don't think Apple sells these any more.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2010 12:24 PM in response to Victor10

There are two models of yo-yo style power adapter that are almost identical, but not quite interchangeable. Part numbers alone are not reliable enough. The yo-yo parts all carry "M7332" as if it were a part number.

The ones for G3 PowerBooks and clamshell iBooks have a translucent DC power plug for the computer AND says "Apple 45W Power Adapter". The model for the next generation looks identical, has the same power output, but has an opaque BLACK DC plug for the computer. It may have a slightly different wording, but is still 45W.

There are no spare parts available (except the AC cord) and the yo-yo is glued shut, so repair is nearly impossible.

There have always been some for sale, new and used, on eBay. I think they must be still making them in the Far East.

When you get another one, iBook owners use a "trick" to keep from fraying the cord at the yo-yo. Never unwind the last loop of cord off the yo-yo, and it will not have one single spot to fray and short out.

Apple had a recall program on the M4402 black "brick" that preceded and is compatible with these. Someone then decided to start a class action lawsuit and managed to kill the goose that laid the golden egg (free yo-yo replacement power supplies). I don't think Apple sells these any more.

PowerBook G3 Power cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.