Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download latest version of iMovie

Hello,

I'm running Catalina on a late 2015 mac, and the version of iMovie I have is too outdated to use (it's been a while). But the version on the app store only runs on Big Sur. I'd rather not update for now for a number of reasons, but the app store won't let me download the last compatible version of the app. I'm not sure whats wrong. Last night when it showed me the option to download the last version, it didn't do anything and instead repeated the dialogue until it just stopped showing up. Now, when I click the download button, it just tells me I need Big Sur and it won't even pretend to give me the option like last time.

Thanks for any help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 8:55 AM

Hi, Cosmonade,

Try this procedure and see if that works to get you the highest iMovie version that your operating system will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Cosmonade

Hi, Cosmonade,

Try this procedure and see if that works to get you the highest iMovie version that your operating system will run:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Cannot download latest version of iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.