Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"StandardBoostd will damage your computer" message

"StandardBoostd will damage your computer" message keeps popping up. How do I get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 9:13 PM

Hey there!

Agreed with Steve626, that is an older adware/malware you have installed on your Mac.

Malwarebytes does a great job of finding the latest known adware floating around on the internet, as older malware, such as Genio and Mac Keeper, etc. and has a huge database, which is awesome.

If a standard restart of your Mac and clearing browser history doesn’t do the job that’s a good step to take.

Other good places to check, that even Malwarebytes may not remove is:

System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items.

Highlight and hit the “-“ to remove any unknown or suspicious programs.

Likewise, with Safari open, on the top menu, click Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

From there click any unknown Extensions and click on Uninstall.

If it has a pop up that says “Show in Finder” click that, but if it doesn’t allow you to delete it because it’s open:

Quit Safari.

Open Activity Monitor from Finder > Applications > Utilities.

Search the Extension name, double click on it and select force quit. Then you can delete it from it’s location I’m Finder.

Likewise, over the last year or two, some of this malware prevents you from making certain changes within Safari or Chrome.

If you find this to be the case, and cannot change the default home page or search engine, even after running Malwarebytes:

Open System Preferences.

Look for any category called “Profiles” (Not there by default).

If you do see that, and see installed Profiles on there with names like “SearchBaron” (Example), etc. Highlight them and again press the “-“ sign below to remove them.

Once done restart, test the issue.

Its also possible that the adware changed your network settings to be filtered by a proxy. This isn’t too likely, but if still having troubles, particiularly with loading web pages, mail or even media, go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies.

If anything is enabled there (Besides the very bottom option), disable it, click Done/Okay, then Apply.

Once done, create a new network location:

System Preferences > Network > “Location” (Usually set to “Automatic”) > Edit Locations > “+” Give it a name > Done > “Apply”.

Once dome, run another scan with Malwarebytes, it may find more installed malware in more hidden locations.

Restart, test the issue. I’m sure one of those steps will fix the issue you’re seeing. Hope that helps. This stuff is getting more advanced, and they are finding new ways to manipulate the system via user involvement. That’s why keeping your Mac up to date is the absolute best way to avoid this stuff. However I think this stuff maybe older and was possibly transferred into your new Mac, hence Gatekeeper recognizes it as malware which is the reason it’s doing its job to warn you.

Likewise, just a standard restart of your Mac initiates Apple’s MRT (Malware Removal Tool) which is Apple’s built in form of malware protection, (Besides Gatekeeper, and other built in OS security Methods).

Hope all goes well!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 9:13 PM in response to CharlieU50

Hey there!

Agreed with Steve626, that is an older adware/malware you have installed on your Mac.

Malwarebytes does a great job of finding the latest known adware floating around on the internet, as older malware, such as Genio and Mac Keeper, etc. and has a huge database, which is awesome.

If a standard restart of your Mac and clearing browser history doesn’t do the job that’s a good step to take.

Other good places to check, that even Malwarebytes may not remove is:

System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items.

Highlight and hit the “-“ to remove any unknown or suspicious programs.

Likewise, with Safari open, on the top menu, click Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

From there click any unknown Extensions and click on Uninstall.

If it has a pop up that says “Show in Finder” click that, but if it doesn’t allow you to delete it because it’s open:

Quit Safari.

Open Activity Monitor from Finder > Applications > Utilities.

Search the Extension name, double click on it and select force quit. Then you can delete it from it’s location I’m Finder.

Likewise, over the last year or two, some of this malware prevents you from making certain changes within Safari or Chrome.

If you find this to be the case, and cannot change the default home page or search engine, even after running Malwarebytes:

Open System Preferences.

Look for any category called “Profiles” (Not there by default).

If you do see that, and see installed Profiles on there with names like “SearchBaron” (Example), etc. Highlight them and again press the “-“ sign below to remove them.

Once done restart, test the issue.

Its also possible that the adware changed your network settings to be filtered by a proxy. This isn’t too likely, but if still having troubles, particiularly with loading web pages, mail or even media, go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies.

If anything is enabled there (Besides the very bottom option), disable it, click Done/Okay, then Apply.

Once done, create a new network location:

System Preferences > Network > “Location” (Usually set to “Automatic”) > Edit Locations > “+” Give it a name > Done > “Apply”.

Once dome, run another scan with Malwarebytes, it may find more installed malware in more hidden locations.

Restart, test the issue. I’m sure one of those steps will fix the issue you’re seeing. Hope that helps. This stuff is getting more advanced, and they are finding new ways to manipulate the system via user involvement. That’s why keeping your Mac up to date is the absolute best way to avoid this stuff. However I think this stuff maybe older and was possibly transferred into your new Mac, hence Gatekeeper recognizes it as malware which is the reason it’s doing its job to warn you.

Likewise, just a standard restart of your Mac initiates Apple’s MRT (Malware Removal Tool) which is Apple’s built in form of malware protection, (Besides Gatekeeper, and other built in OS security Methods).

Hope all goes well!

Feb 23, 2021 8:55 PM in response to CharlieU50

CharlieU50 Said:

"StandardBoostd will damage your computer" message"StandardBoostd will damage your computer" message keeps popping up. How do I get rid of it?"

-------

Where to get Malwarebytes:

As mentioned above, use Malwarebytes for Mac. Here is where to get it, along with its uninstaller:

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Feb 23, 2021 9:27 PM in response to Mele_Veikoso

Mele_Veikoso Said:

"So 2 questions uhhh so is it free? and if not and im guessing most likely be a free trial, we can download it so that it is able to get the 'standardboostd' message out and the file can we just uninstall it after it gets rid of the file?"

-------

Yes. It is free.

You're just as safe as you are with the Free Version. A Trial would be for the Paid-For Sersion. But you're just as safe with the Free Version, as you are with the Paid-For Version. And you can just uninstall it, once the item is removed.

About Malwarebytes for Mac:

This is software that searches for malware/adware (malicious software). So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only trustworthy and reliable way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software .

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Feb 23, 2021 8:45 PM in response to CharlieU50

It sounds like you have unintentionally installed malware on your Mac. This one may change the way your browser behaves and cause unwanted pup up advertisements to appear..

Download Malwarebytes, a trusted program which can be run in a free mode or you can purchase an advanced version with more features.

Have it scan your computer to find and remove all such malware.

Feb 23, 2021 9:18 PM in response to Mele_Veikoso

Mele_Veikoso wrote:

So 2 questions uhhh so is it free? and if not and im guessing most likely be a free trial, we can download it so that it is able to get the "standardboostd" message out and the file can we just uninstall it after it gets rid of the file?

It has only the basic malware detection and removal capability in free mode. The free version comes with a 14-day trial for the premium version, which expires after 14 days if you don't purchase it. You can go to the Malwarebytes web site and compare your options there. They also have a uninstall tool HERE you can use to remove Malwarebytes after using it.

Feb 26, 2021 11:12 PM in response to 1234AppleUser1234

Hey there, glad to help out!

Did you happen to take the step of creating the new network location and scanning again? (I’ve found that with certain malware, this process finds files embedded deeper in the OS and are hidden, are not found by the app unless this step is taken).

Otherwise, considering previous posts, can you find the files via Spotlight or Finder searches? (You can also unhide the files in Finder by pressing Command **** Period).

Another place I typically check if it’s being stubborn is:

System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Click the options on the left column, for each, look to the right, if you see the name of this adware, right click > Show in Finder, then delete it, then go back to preferences, highlight it and press the “-“ to remove it from there.

I also have seen similar behavior show itself via the Firewall, in this same Preferences > Firewall, if on, click Options, remove anything that looks suspicious that’s set to “Allow”.

Otherwise, there are a few key folders I check that malware are known to utilize, but let me know if nothing pans out, and also, if you can, the specific name of the adware/pop up that shows, and specific error message, thanks!

Otherwise, does it give the option to “Show in Finder”? If so, can you delete it from there?

And of course, number one, update, I believe one just came out again, cheers.

"StandardBoostd will damage your computer" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.