Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone set up

I am upgrading from an iPhone 8 Plus to iPhone 12 Pro Max. My 8 is backed up to my MacBook Air but I don't want to restore this backup to the 12. I essentially want to start from scratch with the 12, but only transfer over two specific things: contacts and notes. Is that possible, and how?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 4:27 PM

You could do that by choosing "Set up manually" in step 2 and "Don't transfer Apps & Data" in step 5 of Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then use iCloud to transfer Contacts and Notes by turning on Settings > [username] > iCloud > Contacts and Settings > [username] > iCloud > Notes on the old phone (if not already on) and turn on the same options in the new phone.

This assumes you are using the same Apple ID for iCloud on the old phone and the new phone.

The following is unrelated but may be of use for the old phone after you no longer need it: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 4:27 PM in response to kitson_witson

You could do that by choosing "Set up manually" in step 2 and "Don't transfer Apps & Data" in step 5 of Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then use iCloud to transfer Contacts and Notes by turning on Settings > [username] > iCloud > Contacts and Settings > [username] > iCloud > Notes on the old phone (if not already on) and turn on the same options in the new phone.

This assumes you are using the same Apple ID for iCloud on the old phone and the new phone.

The following is unrelated but may be of use for the old phone after you no longer need it: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

New iPhone set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.