Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious email

I received a weird email that seems like it’s not from Apple and want to report it DID THIS COME FROM APPLE ? I didn’t click on the link but I was just wondering about this ?

iPhone 8 Plus, 14

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 12:20 PM

Scam.

Delete it.

It's rare to get a legitimate email message on the internet these days, an increasing part of what email gets shipped around lately is seemingly mostly scams and spam.

This particular message probably-intentionally contains typos ("unusualy"), and the phrasing of the message is awful, that IP address is wildly invalid, all of which are designed and intended to cause those folks paying attention to immediately trash the message, but those folks that don't notice those same mistakes and details are then best selected for targeted scamming.

And the attachment is seemingly a Word document, but purported to be a PDF. (I'd wonder if the Word document contains macro malware, or tries to get you to enter Office 365 credentials, or some other shenanigans, but I'd not suggest poking at the attachment, nor even opening that or any other unsolicited email attachments.

Apple will address you by your name for any Apple-initiated unsolicited communications, and Apple won't send out these sorts of security announcements—if something goes wrong with your Apple ID, Apple will block it on the server, and you'll have to notice that and then re-authenticate with Apple. And when in doubt, connect directly to the Apple servers yourself, and verify the status or information provided; check your billing and subscriptions history, etc.

Some of the many sorts of scams happening now:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 12:20 PM in response to tylertxchick

Scam.

Delete it.

It's rare to get a legitimate email message on the internet these days, an increasing part of what email gets shipped around lately is seemingly mostly scams and spam.

This particular message probably-intentionally contains typos ("unusualy"), and the phrasing of the message is awful, that IP address is wildly invalid, all of which are designed and intended to cause those folks paying attention to immediately trash the message, but those folks that don't notice those same mistakes and details are then best selected for targeted scamming.

And the attachment is seemingly a Word document, but purported to be a PDF. (I'd wonder if the Word document contains macro malware, or tries to get you to enter Office 365 credentials, or some other shenanigans, but I'd not suggest poking at the attachment, nor even opening that or any other unsolicited email attachments.

Apple will address you by your name for any Apple-initiated unsolicited communications, and Apple won't send out these sorts of security announcements—if something goes wrong with your Apple ID, Apple will block it on the server, and you'll have to notice that and then re-authenticate with Apple. And when in doubt, connect directly to the Apple servers yourself, and verify the status or information provided; check your billing and subscriptions history, etc.

Some of the many sorts of scams happening now:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Suspicious email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.