Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 and Brother DCP-1612W Printer

Hey all,

I received a new Borther DCP-1612W laser printer/scanner today. I'm on a Mac Mini (M1). Setup tools downloaded and worked fine; Firmware update worked without a hitch and driver installation (ICA printer driver for MacOS11) worked fine as well.

Installing the printer, however, was a no-go. It's found both via WiFi and and USB in the printer settings, but no compatible driver from Apple is found and in the manual list, the driver from Brother is not listed.

The Brother iPrint & Scan app downloadable from their website runs through the installer, but the App doesn't seem to be installed. Installing it from the App Store works and it can communicate with the printer, but it can only print PDF or image files, which is utterly useless to me.

I've tried contacting Brother Support, but the person I talked to wasn't even aware that M1 Macs were a thing and forwarded my support request to their tech department.

Are printer drivers architecture-specific? Is there by any chance a workaround? Or do I need to send the printer back?

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 5:04 AM

After searching the forum, the solution was that there was no OS11 compatible driver, the website only labels it in a rather roundabout way. Installed the Catalina drivers and it's working. Apologies for the unnecessary thread, but hopefully someone else will find this easier when they're looking for a solution.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2021 5:04 AM in response to Mendorian

After searching the forum, the solution was that there was no OS11 compatible driver, the website only labels it in a rather roundabout way. Installed the Catalina drivers and it's working. Apologies for the unnecessary thread, but hopefully someone else will find this easier when they're looking for a solution.

M1 and Brother DCP-1612W Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.