Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilding mailboxes

Since installing Big Sur, the search function in Mail has become completely unreliable, with large slabs of messages missing from the search. The messages are still available if you scroll down through thousands of messages to look for them, it's just that only some of them appear in searches. It's quite annoying. I've done a lot of research and it seems to be a common problem, and the only thing that's worked for me (with my icloud mail account) is to rebuild the mailbox.

The problem is that (as I understand it) when you tell Mail to rebuild a mailbox, it deletes all the mail on your computer from that account, and rebuilds the mailbox by downloading the messages from the mail server. That was fine with iCloud mail, because all my iCloud messages were on the iCloud mail server. But I have other mail accounts where the server does not preserve all the messages, going back maybe 15 - 20 years. So if the messages are deleted off my computer, they will not all be downloadable from the account's mail server.

I know that the messages are probably available on old Time Machine backups, but it would be incredibly messy and difficult to rebuild a mailbox that way - whenever I have investigated the underlying mail folders in the library, there seem to be many dozens of folders for each account with random numbers for names, it's completely incomprehensible to me.

So my questions are - (1) if I rebuild a mailbox, will it delete all the mail stored on my MBP for that account, and (2) how do I use a time machine or other backup to get messages into the rebuilt mailbox that aren't downloadable from the server?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 8:54 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 28, 2021 6:08 AM in response to Tomdbl

Hello there Tomdbl,

We understand that you're not able to locate some older email when you go to use the search function, but they do show up just fine when you manually scroll through your messages. With that in mind, let's take a closer look and we'll do our best to help answer your questions.

Before getting started, you can also manually create a backup of mailboxes on your Mac by exporting a copy using these steps: Import or export mailboxes in Mail on Mac While Time Machine is still a great way to backup all of your data, exporting a copy of can also be a quick way to undo something in case you have any issues, or archive those old emails elsewhere for additional safe keeping.

Next, are there any available updates for macOS Big Sur when you go to check? How to update the software on your Mac Keeping your Mac updated can also help with email search and indexing issues just like this.

In the meantime, if the affected email accounts used the older POP protocol, then you are correct in that not all of your emails will not be on the email server, so all or a portion of them will not come back. You can find more information on the rebuild process here: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac However, an alternative may be to manually rebuild the mailbox by exporting the affected mailbox, and then importing it back again using the steps in the first link. Then test out the search functions again.

We hope this helps!

Take care.

Rebuilding mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.