Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding a new email account on mac book

i want to add a new email account on my mac book, but always get the message "unable to verify account name or password". it works on my iPhone , so I assume the password is correct.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 11:35 AM

Whatever you're entering for your account is incorrect. There's a username and a password for the reading and receiving server (POP or IMAP) path, and a second set of credentials and settings for the sending server (SMTP or ESMTP) path. Both sets of credentials and all of the server-related settings must be correct.

With iCloud Keychain enabled, the mail server settings are shared across all devices and Macs sharing that Apple ID.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2021 11:35 AM in response to silke112

Whatever you're entering for your account is incorrect. There's a username and a password for the reading and receiving server (POP or IMAP) path, and a second set of credentials and settings for the sending server (SMTP or ESMTP) path. Both sets of credentials and all of the server-related settings must be correct.

With iCloud Keychain enabled, the mail server settings are shared across all devices and Macs sharing that Apple ID.

Feb 25, 2021 6:17 PM in response to silke112

I’ll assume you’re using the other service when trying to configure the new account.

Is iCloud Keychain enabled here?

Here are the necessary settings:

https://www.ionos.com/help/email/other-email-programs/set-up-an-email-account-in-apple-mail/

here is what IONOS recommends:

https://www.ionos.com/help/email/other-email-programs/set-up-an-email-account-in-apple-mail/

Some services can be case-sensitive.

Stay away from the unencrypted ports; do not use 143, and 110.

adding a new email account on mac book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.