Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Imac G4

Does anyone know how you can update a IMac G4 for Wireless connection and Bluetooth - the casing is so neat that I want to keep using the computer

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 1:52 PM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2021 9:19 PM in response to SJW2012

This G4 iMac (2002-2004) had neither an Airport card nor Bluetooth. This was an optional purchase. You can resolve this deficiency by purchasing a used Airport card for the G4 iMac, probably at eBay or some other online vendor of used parts. Even when you do fit one inside the iMac it will be 802.11b or g depending on the year your have, which today will be very slow, but it’s better than nothing. Do some research to see which model and get the appropriate Airport card. You could also use an ethernet cable if your router is near the iMac. This will provide faster speed and be easier to fit. You can find some videos on YouTube to show you how to fit an Airport card.

The lack of Bluetooth can be solved by getting a Bluetooth dongle. These devices fit into a USB port and provide a Bluetooth connection for the computer. You didn't mention which macOS your iMac has. Panther? Or is it still on Jaguar? This should be adequate to support a Bluetooth dongle.

I love these flowerpot iMacs and they remain my favourite iMac design because they are unconventional and also a delight to look at. At the time they were very expensive so I bought an eMac instead.

Apple Imac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.