Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MACBOOK AIR MID 2012

how can i update my macbook air to either the latest upgrade or one at least that allows me to download apps

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 7:53 AM

This Link to Apple Site and you will have to verify to what version of macOS this computer qualifies to run. I think Catalina is the last version but double check. The links in following page must be opened using Only Safari as FF / Chrome will not work.

Moving from 10.11 to any newer version of macOS is a large leap - so do make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting any UpGrade. Further, most Applications will need to be updated / upgraded so check with Developers if they offer them - for a smooth transition.

Special Attention - if moving to Catalina - it is a 64 bit OS and ONLY Support 64 Bit applications and extensions. Also, Empty Space requirements come into play. Be certain there is at least 44.5 GB of Empty Space or the upgrade may fail and create a long process to recover the usability of the computer.

Personal Suggestion - if possible, have two Bootable Clones of the existing OS each to Separate External Drives - Insurance Policy incase the upgrades goes sideways.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 7:53 AM in response to micha3lmacar3no

This Link to Apple Site and you will have to verify to what version of macOS this computer qualifies to run. I think Catalina is the last version but double check. The links in following page must be opened using Only Safari as FF / Chrome will not work.

Moving from 10.11 to any newer version of macOS is a large leap - so do make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting any UpGrade. Further, most Applications will need to be updated / upgraded so check with Developers if they offer them - for a smooth transition.

Special Attention - if moving to Catalina - it is a 64 bit OS and ONLY Support 64 Bit applications and extensions. Also, Empty Space requirements come into play. Be certain there is at least 44.5 GB of Empty Space or the upgrade may fail and create a long process to recover the usability of the computer.

Personal Suggestion - if possible, have two Bootable Clones of the existing OS each to Separate External Drives - Insurance Policy incase the upgrades goes sideways.

MACBOOK AIR MID 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.