Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of a sudden I have no sound.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 12:39 PM

Generally this happens after both updates and upgrades, which often reset the Audio Midi Setup utility in Applications -> Utilities to too high a frequency for your stereo audio. You do not want a frequency higher than 48 kHz.

Some other audio issues can happen:

1. An existing audio output is selected that has not been detached and you want either built-in speakers to work, or another audio to work. You can only have audio go through one set of devices at a time:
  • Built in speakers
  • mini-jack speakers
  • bluetooth speakers. - Disable bluetooth and use a wired mouse and keyboard to do so, if unsure which one is causing it.
  • Airplay audio. Check Airplay icon is not showing your AppleTV or other WiFi based speaker system as a sound out source.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 12:39 PM in response to 02J21D54

Generally this happens after both updates and upgrades, which often reset the Audio Midi Setup utility in Applications -> Utilities to too high a frequency for your stereo audio. You do not want a frequency higher than 48 kHz.

Some other audio issues can happen:

1. An existing audio output is selected that has not been detached and you want either built-in speakers to work, or another audio to work. You can only have audio go through one set of devices at a time:
  • Built in speakers
  • mini-jack speakers
  • bluetooth speakers. - Disable bluetooth and use a wired mouse and keyboard to do so, if unsure which one is causing it.
  • Airplay audio. Check Airplay icon is not showing your AppleTV or other WiFi based speaker system as a sound out source.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.