Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why have my messages disappeared?

hello, i have an iphone 7 and i had well over 200 messages. I didn’t notice right away but today my phone deleted all of them except a few, and now i can’t find the old messages i used to have. why did it wipe out all my messages? how do i get them back?

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 6:17 PM

Unfortunately, If you were using Messages in iCloud, I'm afraid they are gone.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

How to delete messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If not, then you will have to restore your iPhone from a backup that has those messages:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Be aware that restore is an all or nothing process. You cannot restore only messages (for example) and any information on your iPhone between now and when the backup was created will be lost.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 6:17 PM in response to miak_17

Unfortunately, If you were using Messages in iCloud, I'm afraid they are gone.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

How to delete messages in iCloud - Apple Support

If not, then you will have to restore your iPhone from a backup that has those messages:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Be aware that restore is an all or nothing process. You cannot restore only messages (for example) and any information on your iPhone between now and when the backup was created will be lost.

why have my messages disappeared?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.