Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If family member doesn’t have an apple device, can I add them to family sharing for Apple TV?

If a family member doesn’t have an apple device, can I still add them to family share for Apple TV? (My elderly mother doesn’t have any mobile device but she can get the app to watch Apple TV.)

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 7:14 AM

You mother will need her own Apple ID account. Then add her to Family Sharing. She will have to accept that invitation. She won’t be able to make charges to your account (unless you also set up purchase sharing).

• Her account needs to have a verified email address (respond to email message with code).
  • Her account needs to have a valid billing address.
  • Her account needs to have a valid payment method (or set ‘None’).

If she has no Apple device, then iTunes on a Windows PC would give her the most account control, features, and best management.

Sharable subscriptions (like Apple TV+) are automatically shared in a Family Sharing group to all group members.

Family Sharing - Apple

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 7:14 AM in response to katiemah

You mother will need her own Apple ID account. Then add her to Family Sharing. She will have to accept that invitation. She won’t be able to make charges to your account (unless you also set up purchase sharing).

• Her account needs to have a verified email address (respond to email message with code).
  • Her account needs to have a valid billing address.
  • Her account needs to have a valid payment method (or set ‘None’).

If she has no Apple device, then iTunes on a Windows PC would give her the most account control, features, and best management.

Sharable subscriptions (like Apple TV+) are automatically shared in a Family Sharing group to all group members.

Family Sharing - Apple

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2021 6:20 AM in response to katiemah

I would I like to Suggest you not to do that because the Apple ID Is your post soon not be lying like your identify card. And he has it has a lot of risk in this situation what if your grandma touched the function botton, like Forget password change ID..... He could be a very dangerous thing if you don’t have money inYour pocket and it‘s emergency to do something

Feb 28, 2021 6:39 AM in response to Cow066

Your English is very good! Thanks for your help. It looks like I can create an Apple ID for a child which has restrictions so she wouldn’t be able to make purchases, change my password, etc but she’s not a child, obviously, and I don’t know the consequences if I get caught lying. I think I should be allowed to add an elderly relative but there isn’t a straightforward, honest way to do it and that’s disappointing.

If family member doesn’t have an apple device, can I add them to family sharing for Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.