Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WPA2 and special characters - '£'

Hi folks, first post.. 🙂

Getting stuck connecting to my home wi-fi with my MacBook. The wireless network uses WPA2 and a 63-character password, which is a random string of ASCII characters. The password happens to include a pound ('£') sign, which the Netgear access point accepted. All my Windows machines also connect to it fine.

However, my MacBook is not allowing me to input this character - all I get is a quick bleeping noise. It just refuses to put it in the password field, whether I'm trying to type or paste it in. (I believe I also can't type in a ';' either, which is again part of the password. Same situation - every other system has accepted it.)

It seems Snow Leopard is too pedantic about which ASCII characters to accept. Are allowed WPA2 characters not explicitly defined internationally? There seems to be a grey area regarding nonstandard, special characters.

Would you advise I change the password, even though this is all extra hassle? 🙂

Cheers,

Andy.

15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 9:43 PM

Hi Andy and welcome to Discussions,

the IEEE standard speaks of 'printable ASCII characters' (in the range of 32 to 126 (decimal) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-FiProtectedAccess#WPA2 and the pound sign is not part of that.

So OSX is just merely following the rules whereas others (Windows) obviously don't.

In a mixed environment I would always avoid 'special characters' for WPA2 and in your case it seems that you have to go through the hassle of changing the password.

Regards

Stefan
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2010 9:43 PM in response to mrshift

Hi Andy and welcome to Discussions,

the IEEE standard speaks of 'printable ASCII characters' (in the range of 32 to 126 (decimal) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-FiProtectedAccess#WPA2 and the pound sign is not part of that.

So OSX is just merely following the rules whereas others (Windows) obviously don't.

In a mixed environment I would always avoid 'special characters' for WPA2 and in your case it seems that you have to go through the hassle of changing the password.

Regards

Stefan

Jul 30, 2010 1:52 AM in response to Fortuny

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for clarifying this. I just couldn't understand it - the wireless access point accepted the pound sign, as did the Windows machines and a BlackBerry.

Learn something every day! 🙂 Password changed on router, I'm now resetting all of the other machines.

Many thanks and all the best,

Andy.

WPA2 and special characters - '£'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.