Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for maxOS Big Sur, the date stamp changed ???!!!

Do you have the following problem?

When I drag & drop a photo (or photos) or movie from the Photos (Library), the outputted file always have a new date/time stamp, the exact current date, but not the original created date/time.

I want to file being COPIED with the original date/time stamp.

Did I do something wrong?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 2:37 AM

Hi

You need to distinguish between the file metatdata (information about the file) and the image metadata (information about the image in the file)

If you copy a file the copies creation date will normally be set to the date the file was copied. The image metadata inside the file (which you can view in preview with the inspector window, iptc tab) will show the image capture date.

Summary:

The File metadata is kept in the file system, and represents when that copy of the file is created or modified

The image metadata is kept inside the file, as exif and IPTC data. This won't change when you copy / move the file.

You can also see the two different dates in finder, as shown in the screenshot. This is from an image I exported from photos in july 2019 - so the file has been created and last modified then, but the content creation date is still showing 2011...

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 2:37 AM in response to hksing

Hi

You need to distinguish between the file metatdata (information about the file) and the image metadata (information about the image in the file)

If you copy a file the copies creation date will normally be set to the date the file was copied. The image metadata inside the file (which you can view in preview with the inspector window, iptc tab) will show the image capture date.

Summary:

The File metadata is kept in the file system, and represents when that copy of the file is created or modified

The image metadata is kept inside the file, as exif and IPTC data. This won't change when you copy / move the file.

You can also see the two different dates in finder, as shown in the screenshot. This is from an image I exported from photos in july 2019 - so the file has been created and last modified then, but the content creation date is still showing 2011...

Photos for maxOS Big Sur, the date stamp changed ???!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.