Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)?

What is SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)? I have only had my Mac Mini a few days, and it has the latest Big Sur updates.

Yesterday, while watching a YouTube video, my Mac Mini restarted, and posted an error, "SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)".

This morning, got to my machine, ready to work, and noticed the unit restarted, and a message was on the screen, 'SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)'.

What does this mean? How do I fix it? Thanks

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 5:17 PM

I narrowed this down to the USB-A ports and older USB devices.

I had a USB 4-port hub with a few USB devices attached and it would do it. I took out the hub and just had a 10-year-old USB drive I was using for my TimeMachine backup and it still did it, but less often. I disconnected the USB drive and it hasn't done it for three weeks straight.

I now just hook up the backup drive abou3 times a week just long enough to do a backup and then disconnect it.

115 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 5:17 PM in response to circatee

I narrowed this down to the USB-A ports and older USB devices.

I had a USB 4-port hub with a few USB devices attached and it would do it. I took out the hub and just had a 10-year-old USB drive I was using for my TimeMachine backup and it still did it, but less often. I disconnected the USB drive and it hasn't done it for three weeks straight.

I now just hook up the backup drive abou3 times a week just long enough to do a backup and then disconnect it.

Apr 20, 2021 4:21 PM in response to circatee

Just got this error recently. Doesn't happen often, maybe one every 3-5 days if my Mini is left on. Problem is, resetting the SMC on the M1 isn't something you can do. It functionally reset the SMC every time you power it off. It's not a troubleshooting step that can be taken. I've heard it can be related to using a USB hub, which is necessary for myself and well as many others as two USB-A and two USB-C (Assuming you don't use a second monitor) is hardly enough. If I get it a third time I'm going to submit a support ticket about it. We'll see what happens with the next update.

May 7, 2021 2:14 AM in response to circatee

I am also experiencing this with an M1 barely 6 months old. However, this issue is fairly new. I don't recall when exactly, but it started perhaps two macOS updates ago. And it has been happening more frequently now.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.3.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.4.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.5  HomePods, audioOS 14.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

May 24, 2021 12:10 AM in response to Dah•veed

Just happened to me on a brand new M1. The same thing happened on my other computer, which I purchased 6 months ago. Took it to the apple store and they replaced it with a new one ( less than a month ago) I'm not exactly sure why they offered to do this but it just happened again. I wasn't on Big Sur with the last one but am now.

Jun 9, 2021 10:42 AM in response to circatee

Honestly, I cannot believe this issue is till happening. When I first posted about this, after a few weeks of following countless Apple steps, I returned the device.

Yesterday, 8th June 2021, I purchased another Mac Mini M1. Thus far, I have not had the issue, but, time will tell.

Instead, I now have an issue with the device waking, i.e. showing details on my Samsung C49" screen. Only happens on restart (thus far).

Alas, I digress. Again, still cannot believe Apple have not fixed this "AP watchdog expired" error...

Jun 10, 2021 8:04 PM in response to circatee

I have a Mini M1 and never had this issue. Yesterday, I added a Caldigit Element Hub (TB4/C and USB A 3.2) that also has a power supply engaged. Today, my system did as what happened to many others here - a reboot and an error about "AP watchdog expired."

I'm curious if others who noticed it happening with docks/hubs if

1) the device was supporting Thunderbolt or only up to USB C 3.2 or...?

2) the device used its own power supply and if so, was it being used when the problem happened?

3) did you simply have an external drive and no hub attached when it happened and if so, Thunderbolt, USB C 3.2 or ...?

Obviously looking for any possible specifics associated or if it is random or if several combinations are generating this problem. I sure hope this is not like the issue with the monitors many have had and Apple didn't make any real effort to fix (on going for months)

Jun 13, 2021 4:12 PM in response to michaelm411

I've had my M1 mini 16GB 1TB (OS 11.4) for just over 3 months now. Just got this restart/error for the first time. I was running the same apps that I always have open 24/7. I haven't done anything odd in the last day. I wasn't even at my computer when it rebooted.

I do not have a hub, but I do have a monitor with extra USB ports, so essentially a hub. I have had this monitor plugged in since day 1.

I also have a Kensington trackball and an external USB drive, also plugged in since day 1.

What is SOCD report detected: (AP watchdog expired)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.