Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install new apps on an old 9.3.5 ipad mini?

Anyone, having this issue?

Well, simply download the desired app from the store to your newer device (iphone or whatever). Then go to your old ipad and into the appstore. Go to your purchased apps, tap the download icon. You'll be prompted with a screen saying that the app is not compatible, BUT, you can download the last working version for your ipad :)

That's it. Enjoy

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 8:27 AM

Well, maybe for you, an old ipad is not an option. I'm still using mine, and i'm not about to spend a ton of money on a brand new ipad just to watch reruns of my favorite shows... this one still works, the battery last forever and Netflix and Prime video, are runing flawlesly on it, so, yeah, works for me.

I'm not giving false hope, as you so rudely stated.

This method worked for me, is it up to them to determine if it works for their needs.

Did you even tried it?

These 8-10-year old iPads are NOT DONE!

The answers are out there.

Cheers

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 8:27 AM in response to MichelPM

Well, maybe for you, an old ipad is not an option. I'm still using mine, and i'm not about to spend a ton of money on a brand new ipad just to watch reruns of my favorite shows... this one still works, the battery last forever and Netflix and Prime video, are runing flawlesly on it, so, yeah, works for me.

I'm not giving false hope, as you so rudely stated.

This method worked for me, is it up to them to determine if it works for their needs.

Did you even tried it?

These 8-10-year old iPads are NOT DONE!

The answers are out there.

Cheers

Mar 2, 2021 11:34 AM in response to damolbel

That is NOT it!

Many, ( almost ALL ) older third party apps for iOS 10 and earlier have been completely removed.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer, for 8-10-year old iOS devices.

None!

Both Apple and the majority of third party app developers have removed all their older iOS versions of their apps from the iOS App Store.

They are GONE and gone forever!

Whatever apps you are still finding are just a small minority that are still left.

Hence, the way I stated my reply.

8-10-year old iPads are obsolete.

Sorry.

( Don't give users here false hope ).

These 8-10-year old iPads are DONE!

Mar 4, 2021 10:15 AM in response to damolbel

Really...

Did I try this? I am far from a newbie with iOS devices.

Yes, I have used this procedure for many years!

But I use my iPads for much more than watching videos

That procedure used to work for many of the apps in the iOS App Store UP until 2018/2019.

For the lion's share of apps in the iOS App Store, now, this procedure simply does NOT work any longer because the older apps are simply NOT there for download. They have either been removed by Apple OR removed by the third party app developer.

None of the popular streaming apps are available to old iPads, any longer, with the exception of Netflix, which goes all the way back to iOS 5.1.1.

YouTube no longer worls on these old iPad models as Google just issued a mandate/pop-up, right in the old app to upgrade to a newer version. So, the old YouTube app is not going to work, any longer.

Will need to access a Web browser, now, to watch YouTube videos on older iPads.

There are no more older versions of of almost all popular apps and games for 8-10 year old iPads, either.

Gone.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer!

None!

AND, that over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser is too old, not secure and not safe to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

If you must use these old iPad models, here is what is left for still updated Web browsers.

Pickins’ are slim, now!

ALook Web browser ( A fairly new Web browser primarily designed for old iOS device versions, but is still available to newer iOS/iPadOS devices, as well )

Dolphin Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

TOR private browser

TOR + VPN private browser

Turbo VPN private browser

This is pretty much it for iOS 9/10 compatible, up to date, third party Web browsers today.

As I will continue to state here, these old iPad models are obsolete.

It happened with the very first 2010 iPad after Apple only gave it 2 years of support. By 2016/2016, no more apps, at all.

The sane fate has been happening for all 8-10 year old iPad models.

Sorry, but this is the reality for ALL 8-10-year old AND OLDER iOS devices now. Especially going into 2021!

You are just delaying the inevitable.

Very soon these 8-10 year old pad models will reach the same fate as the very first 2010 iPad.

A perfectly good device with NO apps available to run on them.

My family still runs 2010 iPads, 2011, iPad 2, 2012 iPad 3, I keep these going with the apps they already have using a Mac/PC application called iMazing.

https://imazing.com/

This application has been around for many years and allows me to save EVERYTHING, even the full app files, to my Macs, like Apple iTunes used to do, but no longer, after iTunes version 12.7.

So, I can keep these old iPads going as long as their internal, rechargeable batteries hold out.

You really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, used iPad models, from better known, trusted Apple product/device retailers/resellers, locally or online, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS, that won't break your bank account.

Do what you will.

Mar 4, 2021 11:52 AM in response to MichelPM

Interesting, please, educate me some more, while i watch youtube on my obsolete ipad. I mean,

you seem to know everithing there is to know...

I don't want to buy a new device. The one i have works, and while it works i will use it. I don't need a new one. My needs today do not require a newer device. I will not buy a new one untill i need a new one.

Like me, there are tons of peopple out there, that don't want or need a new device.

This tip is for them.

What is your problem? this method works, you said it yourself in your manifest above.

Old devices are not obsolete. if you don't like it, move along.

That's it.

Can't install new apps on an old 9.3.5 ipad mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.