Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and Facetime

I can’t send iMessages or use Facetime with my phone number after getting a new phone. I’ve tried to reset and setup my phone twice, reboot my router, deleted my contact information in my AppleID and iMessage/Facetime and added it again..... And the problem is still very much there. I can use iMessage with my e-mail adress, but that is not what I want 😊

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 5:40 PM

Hello Emifin,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, since getting a new iPhone you're able to send and received iMessages and FaceTime calls but it only shows your email. When you received this new iPhone, did you keep your existing number or did you also receive a new contact number?

If you go in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Start new conversation from and Settings > FaceTime > Caller ID, do you see your phone number? If so, let's be sure your number is chosen.

Have you tried removing the SIM card, restarting the device and inserting the SIM card again? Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad.

We look forward to hearing an update. Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 5:40 PM in response to Emifin

Hello Emifin,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, since getting a new iPhone you're able to send and received iMessages and FaceTime calls but it only shows your email. When you received this new iPhone, did you keep your existing number or did you also receive a new contact number?

If you go in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Start new conversation from and Settings > FaceTime > Caller ID, do you see your phone number? If so, let's be sure your number is chosen.

Have you tried removing the SIM card, restarting the device and inserting the SIM card again? Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad.

We look forward to hearing an update. Take care!

Mar 6, 2021 4:11 PM in response to Emifin

Hello Emifin,

We understand your phone number is not appearing as an option to use iMessage and FaceTime. We'd be happy to help.

Is the SIM card in your iPhone activated by your carrier? Have you checked for carrier updates? Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

We also have a resource that should help: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you receive any alerts, please check the troubleshooting here: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Also, let us know the software version installed on your device: Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

iMessage and Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.