Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware seems to be affecting browser settings

Well, after all my years on computers I finally made a careless mistake with my downloads... I accidentally downloaded what I believe is some sort of malware. I was trying to download one program, but I was half-awake and clicked an ad that was pretending to be the download link that I wanted, and ended up fully installing it before I realized it wasn't the right one. It installed FlashPlayer (or something pretending to be FlashPlayer) and Opera (again, possibly pretending to be Opera), and seems to have changed settings in Safari and Chrome. When I opened Chrome, two tabs called "Bar1 New Tab" would open. In Safari on some websites, pop ups that would normally open in a background tab now open as active tabs, and when I do a google search on Safari, whatever I type in seemingly any text box (including this one) now shows in the LaunchPad search bar as well. Launchpad also seems to get stuck on the second page of apps, and won't go back to the first page unless I actually click the first white dot at the bottom of the screen instead of swiping with two fingers on the trackpad.

I purchased BitDefender and ran a full system scan and it found two items called "Adware.MAC.Pirrit.JD" and "Adware.MAC.Generic.19234" and deleted them, but the symptoms listed above still occur (except the new tabs on Chrome, which I resetted in the Chrome settings).

I would have no problem doing a factory reset of my operating system, but I'm unsure if this is the best thing to do. Does anyone know what could be causing these problems?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 8:03 AM

I recommend that you download Malwarebytes which is specifically designed to locate and remove ad/malware. It is trial-ware for 14 days and then remains free to use, or you can uninstall it from its Help menu. You do not need BitDefender on your Mac, or any other anti-virus tool. These have a long, sordid history of false positives and interfering with applications and the operating system. The operating system has built-in security.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 8:03 AM in response to SeanVoi

I recommend that you download Malwarebytes which is specifically designed to locate and remove ad/malware. It is trial-ware for 14 days and then remains free to use, or you can uninstall it from its Help menu. You do not need BitDefender on your Mac, or any other anti-virus tool. These have a long, sordid history of false positives and interfering with applications and the operating system. The operating system has built-in security.

Mar 4, 2021 11:16 AM in response to SeanVoi

For future reference there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

MalwareBytes and Etrecheck are the only two 3rd party apps that a Mac user needs to check and verify the health of they Mac.

Malware seems to be affecting browser settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.