Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a macbook air 13 inch 2015, why can't I update to mac OS Big Sur?

I have a macbook air 13 inch early 2015, why can't I update to mac OS Big Sur? It's not showing as available to me, there are "no updates" available. I'm currently on macOS High Sierra.

Thanks for any insights.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 11:42 AM

You can.

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are running.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 11:42 AM in response to RLGMiller

You can.

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are running.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

i have a macbook air 13 inch 2015, why can't I update to mac OS Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.