Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Pages New Pages

Hello Readers, I had to give up my MacBook Pro mid 2012 and now use MBPro 2015. The older Pages documents are transferred but won't open. Message: 'file is not in the correct format'. I now have both Pages versions, 4.3 and 10.10 but the new version doesn't open my older documents. Is there a solution to this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 1:00 PM

If you still have access to the files on your previous MBPro, open them in Numbers '09 (4.3) and Export the files to MS Word format (.docx).

Move the Word copies onto your newer MBP, and try opening them with Pages 10.10.

Alternate:

Open the Pages '09 files in LibreOffice, then save from there as Word files. Open the Word files into Pages 10.10.

Both routes involve translation of the Pages files to MS Word format, then from MS Word to the newer Pages format.

Some features will be lost or removed with each translation, so the two routes may produce different results.

The link is to the LibreOffice home page.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Janet Perry1

If you still have access to the files on your previous MBPro, open them in Numbers '09 (4.3) and Export the files to MS Word format (.docx).

Move the Word copies onto your newer MBP, and try opening them with Pages 10.10.

Alternate:

Open the Pages '09 files in LibreOffice, then save from there as Word files. Open the Word files into Pages 10.10.

Both routes involve translation of the Pages files to MS Word format, then from MS Word to the newer Pages format.

Some features will be lost or removed with each translation, so the two routes may produce different results.

The link is to the LibreOffice home page.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 6, 2021 2:09 AM in response to Janet Perry1

How were those previous Pages documents transferred to the new Mac? Via Migration Assistant from a previous Time Machine backup?

For some unexplainable reason, Pages '09 v4.3 would not work on Mojave v10.14.0 thru v10.14.3 and resumed working with v10.14.4 through 10.14.6. If you update your macOS Mojave to its latest update (10.14.6), then that will resolve the Pages '09 issue.

The last version of Pages that was supported on Mojave is 10.1.

Mar 6, 2021 2:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

Viking thank you for your quick reply. My old Macbook wouldn't open any more, but when I noticed trouble happening I transferred photos and music to an external HD. I had the SSD extracted and put into an enclosure which I attach to the new Macbook. It doesn't automatically reproduce

the old HD data as I found out. Some minor applications open but the important ones like Pages, iTunes, iPhoto and Word don't open. I made a mistake by not taking it to a technician for the transfer.

Old Pages New Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.