Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is not saving Playlists and changes made to playlist

iTunes playlist is not saving songs. When I close out of my iTunes, any changes I make to playlists save does not save. This also happens with new playlists that I make where iTunes does not save it. I am using a Windows 10 laptop. Are there any fixes to this? Or could it be a setting?

Thank you,

James Chisholm

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 5:24 PM

The AV software is the problem. Turn it off, or tell it to ignore everything within your iTunes folder, and your iTunes Media folder if that is on a different path, and iTunes will function normally. Discard all of the .tmp files. If you make a minor change in iTunes such as updating a playlist and watch carefully you should see a .tmp file flick in and out of existence, but this time if you close iTunes, and then reopen, you should find that your changes have been saved.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2021 5:24 PM in response to masscub

The AV software is the problem. Turn it off, or tell it to ignore everything within your iTunes folder, and your iTunes Media folder if that is on a different path, and iTunes will function normally. Discard all of the .tmp files. If you make a minor change in iTunes such as updating a playlist and watch carefully you should see a .tmp file flick in and out of existence, but this time if you close iTunes, and then reopen, you should find that your changes have been saved.

tt2

Mar 6, 2021 2:55 PM in response to masscub

masscub wrote:

I also noticed that where the iTunes stored, that there are all these tmp files that appear there. This is after opening and closing it.

When iTunes updates the library it write out a new tmp. file, then at the finish it deletes the .itl file and renames the .tmp file to replace. Your AV is blocking this activity as suspicious and this causing your problem. As given add an exclusion to the real-time scanner.

tt2

iTunes is not saving Playlists and changes made to playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.