Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac restart

I’m trying to restart my Mac and I’ve gotten to the point where I need to choose a disk, but there aren’t any disks there to choose. What do I do?

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 10:38 AM

If the Mac can't see any discs to restart to, and you are at an installer, it may not be properly formatted.

Macs that are running High Sierra or later may not have any visible discs to an installer that is using Sierra or earlier because of the APFS formatting. Otherwise, you may have a damaged disc. Use the Option key on a wired keyboard to boot the Mac. Any later formatted bootable system should appear in what is known as the startup manager.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 10:38 AM in response to berivan0820

If the Mac can't see any discs to restart to, and you are at an installer, it may not be properly formatted.

Macs that are running High Sierra or later may not have any visible discs to an installer that is using Sierra or earlier because of the APFS formatting. Otherwise, you may have a damaged disc. Use the Option key on a wired keyboard to boot the Mac. Any later formatted bootable system should appear in what is known as the startup manager.

Mac restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.