Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 4 2020 WiFi model compass not working in applications

When I try to use any app that uses compass to give directions. It gives different directions than my iPhone compass. Is there something wrong with my iPad?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:27 AM

Are you using an iPad case that contains magnets of any kind? For example, a case with a screen cover that operates the auto-lock function? If so, this can seriously affect the calibration of the iPad fluxgate compass.

If used extensively indoors, the compass can lose its calibration. As an example, one model of iPad Pro that I regularly use for testing often loses compass calibration - sometimes presenting a reading as much as 90° from true.

Recalibration of the compass can help. Rather than list the steps here, this external link might be helpful with the procedure to recalibrate the iPad compass:

https://www.titanhst.com/improving-compass-accuracy-on-ios-devices/

In addition to the information within the link, you may find that several full rotations of the iPad in each of its three axis’ (X, Y and Z) will help with recalibration.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Hany-sam

Are you using an iPad case that contains magnets of any kind? For example, a case with a screen cover that operates the auto-lock function? If so, this can seriously affect the calibration of the iPad fluxgate compass.

If used extensively indoors, the compass can lose its calibration. As an example, one model of iPad Pro that I regularly use for testing often loses compass calibration - sometimes presenting a reading as much as 90° from true.

Recalibration of the compass can help. Rather than list the steps here, this external link might be helpful with the procedure to recalibrate the iPad compass:

https://www.titanhst.com/improving-compass-accuracy-on-ios-devices/

In addition to the information within the link, you may find that several full rotations of the iPad in each of its three axis’ (X, Y and Z) will help with recalibration.

iPad Air 4 2020 WiFi model compass not working in applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.