Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard function

The letter’i’ is not functioning on my keyboard. It does however function on shift I to upper case

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 4:38 PM

Hippo71 Said:

"Keyboard function: The letter’i’ is not functioning on my keyboard. It does however function on shift I to upper case"

-------

What to Try:

A. Use an External Keyboard:

See if you still get this error when you use an external keyboard. Have no access to an external keyboard? If so, ask a friend or whomever, if you may use theirs. You may need to use this adapter: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. installations), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. So, reset your SMC and reset your NVRAM. It might take three tries to success with a reset to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 4:38 PM in response to Hippo71

Hippo71 Said:

"Keyboard function: The letter’i’ is not functioning on my keyboard. It does however function on shift I to upper case"

-------

What to Try:

A. Use an External Keyboard:

See if you still get this error when you use an external keyboard. Have no access to an external keyboard? If so, ask a friend or whomever, if you may use theirs. You may need to use this adapter: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. installations), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. So, reset your SMC and reset your NVRAM. It might take three tries to success with a reset to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Mar 7, 2021 7:30 PM in response to Hippo71

Hippo71 Said:

"Keyboard function: Thank you for the response. I found after shutting down that the function was restored"

-------

You are welcome.

Provide Apple with Feedback:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when the issue started and the solution
  4. Proceed form there as necessary

Keyboard function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.