Related Article: How to reinstall macOS

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I followed instruction on resetting os x el capitan on macbook pro but getting item is temporary unavailable after using my apple id

I followed instruction on resetting os x el capitan on macbook pro but getting item is temporary unavailable after using my apple id

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 12:29 AM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2021 7:03 PM in response to a brody

I have the same issue on macbook air 11" from 2010.

Installing from bootable usb with os catalina, nor installing from the Internet recovery mode works.

I get the same message:

"Item not available"

Apple support tells me to go to apple agreed shop, that they have the tools for these "vintage" macbooks...

I wonder if they would be able to solve my problem and install an os... if they have different versions of mac os el capitan for exemple that we can get from apple website...

Any one could solve that problem?

Or got the mac to a shop?

Thanks

Mar 8, 2021 11:41 PM in response to DrLove26c

The certificates for several of Apples OS's expired in October 2019, Apple have been very poor at getting these updated on 

thier Recovery Servers with valid certificates. 

This may be the problem you are experiencing. 

Try this workaround, we are going to set the time and date on your mac to a date previous to the expiry date of the certificates.

Connect your mac to your router via cable, not WiFi

Boot to your Recovery HD, click on Utilities in the menubar select Terminal.

Make sure WiFi is switched off, it can reset the date back to today.

Enter a new date, for example or just copy and paste

sudo date -u 011421002017

press Return

enter your password

press Return

If Terminal returns an error saying sudo : command not found, then try again without sudo.

just enter 

date -u 011421002017

press Return

You won't be prompted for a Password if you did not need to use sudo

Once the date has changed you can quit Terminal.

Now try downloading the OS.

Click on Install OS X, press Continue.

If this works then when the OS is installed and booted up you can Open System Preferences> Date & Time

and reset the time back to today.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.