Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi speeds on my mac book air

I have 900mbs fibre and my phone is downloading at 160mbps but my mac is only showing 5mbps is there a setting I needed to get super fast spends over Wi-fi?

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 7:29 AM

Is the Router broadcasting Wifi in both 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz using the same SSID ? Are you able to determine to which of the presumed 2.4 to 5 bandwidth ? Are there Other Wifi signals interfering with yours? Is there a good Line-of-sight between MBA and Router ?

Many factors come into play.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 7:29 AM in response to stnma

Is the Router broadcasting Wifi in both 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz using the same SSID ? Are you able to determine to which of the presumed 2.4 to 5 bandwidth ? Are there Other Wifi signals interfering with yours? Is there a good Line-of-sight between MBA and Router ?

Many factors come into play.

Mar 8, 2021 8:21 AM in response to stnma

Does it perform same or better if booted into Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at startup. It will perform a Repair Disk, clear cache files and Only load Apple Software and Fonts so loads slowly - norma. It will look and perform differently - also normal. Keep it this mode for 5 - 7 minutes and Test.

Question- Any AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN installed? If so read here and suggest removing them as per Developers Instructions. If, No - disregard.

Mar 8, 2021 7:48 AM in response to stnma

Same here in our home. The computer will usually connect to the Strongest Signal and if moving to new location in the house automatically switch to 2.4 gHz if wall is between computer and Router. The nature of 5 gHz is best with nothing between computer and router. 2.4gHz is better if wall etc between.

Thank you for marking as solved.

Wi-fi speeds on my mac book air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.