Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot convert El Capitan .pkg file to installer application

I am trying to set up a bootable installer for a 2007 iMac, and to do so need to be able to store the El Capitan installer in my applications, as an application file. I am doing this on a 2020 MacBook Pro 13".

I have downloaded the dmg file from apple.com, and opened this to reveal a .pkg file. However, when I double click this in an effort to make it open and convert to an application file, I first get the message 'This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.' and then when I proceed, get the error message 'This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer.'

I assume this is because my MacBook thinks I want to install El Capitan onto it as an OS (which I don't), I just want to install the application file so I can use it to create the bootable installer on an external usb.

Is there any workaround so I can open this file and get the El Capitan installer? I've seen people asking the same question but no answers have been relevant so far. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 12:33 PM

Converting the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app can only be done on macs that are capable of running El Capitan.

A 2020 mac like yours came with an OS newer than El Capitan so will refuse to do the conversion.

You need to use a mac that is/ was capable of running El Capitan.

There is a workaround if you are wiling to try it, I haven't.

Click here,

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/379603/how-do-i-create-el-capitan-installer-on-a-catalina-or-post-el-capitan-installe

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 12:33 PM in response to tmcmorrow

Converting the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app can only be done on macs that are capable of running El Capitan.

A 2020 mac like yours came with an OS newer than El Capitan so will refuse to do the conversion.

You need to use a mac that is/ was capable of running El Capitan.

There is a workaround if you are wiling to try it, I haven't.

Click here,

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/379603/how-do-i-create-el-capitan-installer-on-a-catalina-or-post-el-capitan-installe

Cannot convert El Capitan .pkg file to installer application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.