Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When formatting an external HDD as APFS with Disk Utility in Big Sur, why does it still first say "Formatting diskxxx as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a case-insenstivie HFS Plus volume?

I bought a new external hard drive HDD to create a Time Machine Backup.

Apple now recommends formatting any external Time Machine backup as APFS.

When I use Disk Utility to do this, I see the initial message as "Formatting disk3s2 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name Time Machine, followed by "Initialized /dev/rdisk3s2 as a 7 TB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume with a 524288k journal". Screenshots and disk utility log below.

Why is it doing this even though it ultimately creates an APFS container?

(My initial Time Machine backup is taking an abysmally long time. I have used Time Machine for many years and know that it should not be this slow, even via USB to HDD. Wondering if this has anything to do with it....?)

Thanks for help.

Tell Disk Utility to format drive as APFS:

Initially, Disk Utility creates an HFS Plus volume, then later adds an APFS container

Log from Disk Utility after selecting APFS:

Erasing “Mercury Elite Pro Media” (disk3) and creating “Time Machine”

Unmounting disk

Creating the partition map

Waiting for partitions to activate

Formatting disk3s2 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with name Time Machine

Initialized /dev/rdisk3s2 as a 7 TB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume with a 524288k journal

Mounting disk

Creating a new empty APFS Container

Unmounting Volumes

Switching disk3s2 to APFS

Creating APFS Container

Created new APFS Container disk4

Preparing to add APFS Volume to APFS Container disk4

Creating APFS Volume

Created new APFS Volume disk4s1

Mounting APFS Volume

Setting volume permissions

Operation successful.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 1:35 PM

FWIW, when i did my first TM backup for big sur, i formatted the empty drive as HFS+. i didn't notice it right away but TM reformatted it as APFS. when i noticed the TM HDD was formatted APFS, i thought it was pilot error in my instance. i used disk utility to erase and format it back to HFS+. i did another fresh TM. it turns out that the HDD was again formatted as APFS. i would recommend you erase and format it HFS+ and let the TM format it as APFS.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2021 1:35 PM in response to Jarzerure232

FWIW, when i did my first TM backup for big sur, i formatted the empty drive as HFS+. i didn't notice it right away but TM reformatted it as APFS. when i noticed the TM HDD was formatted APFS, i thought it was pilot error in my instance. i used disk utility to erase and format it back to HFS+. i did another fresh TM. it turns out that the HDD was again formatted as APFS. i would recommend you erase and format it HFS+ and let the TM format it as APFS.

Mar 9, 2021 1:48 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Yes, I see that you are correct. Prior to your response, I had done just what you said: reformatted my external drive as HFS+ in the hopes that maybe Time Machine would proceed more quickly using the "old" format.

I see now that despite formatting it as HFS+, Time Machine went ahead and made an APFS container inside the drive anyway. Net result is the same as I posted above. Seems odd though. It is as if at the "top" (bottom?) level, the drive is still formatted as HFS+, whether it is ultimately used as an HFS+ drive or an APFS drive. Drive formatting remains a mystery to me.

Whatever the case, my Time Machine still seems to be working quite slowly. :(

When formatting an external HDD as APFS with Disk Utility in Big Sur, why does it still first say "Formatting diskxxx as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a case-insenstivie HFS Plus volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.