Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update Mac os 10.13 to 10.14 or later on my mac desktop

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 6:15 AM

The easiest way would be to open this link in Safari…

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

Make sure to back up first.

4 replies

Mar 8, 2021 2:57 PM in response to painsw

Why cant you answer the question

because this is not chat. This is a regular forum of end users like you, volunteering to answer on a time-available basis. If that is not acceptable, you will need to seek another venue.

It is possible that people are skipping over this question because we don't know for certain what iMac sub-model you have.

Your max OS version and any upgrade paths available are firmly tied to the iMac sub-model. Older sub-models cannot run the latest macOS version. Your sub-model is available by doing "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu.

As it is not clear what computer you have, I'm having to guess that you are asking about the 27-inch iMac running OS 10.13 showing in your equipment line. To run 10.14 and 1015, you need a 2012 iMac. To run Big Sur macOS 11, you need one of these:

Mar 9, 2021 5:29 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan for the response and clarification. I thought this was Apple tech hence my second question.

Am in the middle of a large business project now ground to a halt because a cd download requires 10.14 or later. Somewhat frustrating to me a user rather than an enthusiast of computing enjoyment. Home working is fine until these sorts of problems arise.

My iMac is as you rightly deduced, 27"/3.8QC/8GB/2/TB, manufactured 2017.

Looks like OS 10.13 can be upgraded. My question then, can this be done easily and where can I find how to achieve this with instructions, etc. Any suggestions would be most welcome especially for me as a novice Apple user.

Many thanks again, Allan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.