Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Owner Change

My late wife won an early model iPad that was set up with her name, etc. It died and we bought a new (this) one and they were able to transfer all data from the old to the new. I actually bought it and have the receipt. We both used it but now that she is deceased I would like to transfer everything to my name, but I DON’T WANT TO ERASE THE DATA, PASSWORDS, ETC. Is this possible?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 3:15 AM

Do you have the iPad Passcode - and the current AppleID Password? Are you able to access iPad Settings?

If the answer to all of these questions is “yes”, then it is a relatively simple task to sign-out and sign-in with a different AppleID - creating a new AppleID account is required. Before doing so you must review where your data is stored - and/or create an appropriate backup of the data before proceeding.

If the answer to the above questions is “no” - if you don’t have an existing iCloud or iTunes backup of the iPad, then access to any locally stored data has already been lost. The iPad has an encrypted filesystem; if you don’t have the required credentials to access the device, the encrypted data is beyond reach.

If you can provide more information about the precise status of the device (such as having access to its settings, it being Disabled or Activation Locked) - and whether or not you have the Passcode and AppleID credentials, more specific advice and guidance may be possible.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 3:15 AM in response to ingeborg192

Do you have the iPad Passcode - and the current AppleID Password? Are you able to access iPad Settings?

If the answer to all of these questions is “yes”, then it is a relatively simple task to sign-out and sign-in with a different AppleID - creating a new AppleID account is required. Before doing so you must review where your data is stored - and/or create an appropriate backup of the data before proceeding.

If the answer to the above questions is “no” - if you don’t have an existing iCloud or iTunes backup of the iPad, then access to any locally stored data has already been lost. The iPad has an encrypted filesystem; if you don’t have the required credentials to access the device, the encrypted data is beyond reach.

If you can provide more information about the precise status of the device (such as having access to its settings, it being Disabled or Activation Locked) - and whether or not you have the Passcode and AppleID credentials, more specific advice and guidance may be possible.

Owner Change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.