Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16” MacBook Pro 2019 Hardware Diagnostics

I need to run hardware diagnostics on my 16” MacBook Pro 2019 w/latest version of Big Sur. I have found a couple of sets of instructions.

1. First instruction set: Restart the MacBook Pro and hold the “D” key until the select language screen appears. I have done this and I do not get the select language screen. What I see is a screen with a globe and a list of WiFi connections. If I connect to my network it then immediately takes me to internet recovery - as if it is going to restore Big Sur on my MacBook.
  2. Second instruction set: This instruction indicates to Power On the MacBook Pro by holding the power button until a screen appears with a gear icon and an “Options” menu item. Then I am to hold the Command+D keys. However, when I continue to hold the power button, the make makes the start up sound once and then eventually turns off. If I release the power button when I hear the sound, the MacBook starts up.

So in either of those situations I never get to hardware diagnostics.

Is this maybe telling me that I have a hardware problem? Are the instructions I’ve found incorrect, and if so, where do I find the correct instructions? Both sets I found were on Apple support.

The MacBook is still under warranty.

Mike

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 11:39 AM

From Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

On an Intel-based Mac, if you can't start Apple Diagnostics with the D key, try these solutions:

• Press and hold Option-D at startup to use Apple Diagnostics over the internet.
  • Make sure that your Mac isn't using a firmware password.

4 replies

16” MacBook Pro 2019 Hardware Diagnostics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.