You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme setup for ATT fiber modem/router

Just got ATT fiber. Can't setup airport to connect to ATT modem/router.

What settings must I change to disconnect the ATT router and connect my Airport extreme to the ATT fiber modem? Please tell me step by step.

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 4:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 6:20 PM

The AirPort Extreme was designed in 2012 to connect to standard Cable and DSL type connections. Fiber was largely unknown at the time that the AirPort Extreme was designed. For that reason, Apple makes no mention of fiber cabability in the specifications or setup instructions for the AirPort Extreme.

Have you confirmed with ATT that you are able to connect an older design third party router directly to the ATT modem?......(which is likely called an ONT).

No guarantees that the AirPort Extreme can connect to an ATT fiber modem or ONT, but if you can provide us with your log on details, we will try to figure out if there is some way to input that information into the AirPort Extreme.

Don't provide the exact details for security reasons, just mix up the letters and or numbers in your reply.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2021 6:20 PM in response to PeorEsNada

The AirPort Extreme was designed in 2012 to connect to standard Cable and DSL type connections. Fiber was largely unknown at the time that the AirPort Extreme was designed. For that reason, Apple makes no mention of fiber cabability in the specifications or setup instructions for the AirPort Extreme.

Have you confirmed with ATT that you are able to connect an older design third party router directly to the ATT modem?......(which is likely called an ONT).

No guarantees that the AirPort Extreme can connect to an ATT fiber modem or ONT, but if you can provide us with your log on details, we will try to figure out if there is some way to input that information into the AirPort Extreme.

Don't provide the exact details for security reasons, just mix up the letters and or numbers in your reply.

Mar 11, 2021 5:57 PM in response to PeorEsNada

Some providers require their customers to enter a user name and password in order to establish a connection using what is known as PPPoE authentication, and some do not.

Frankly, I have no idea if this will work with ATT, but there are no other connection options on the AirPorts. Worth a try if you have an ATT user name and password, and you keep your expectations low.

Mar 12, 2021 6:28 AM in response to PeorEsNada

As a test, what happens if you turn off the WiFi on a computer and then connect the computer directly to the ONT using an Ethernet cable connection?

I doubt that this will work, because the ONT has likely been programmed to only connect to the ATT modem/router, but you never know until you try.

If it does work, and the AirPort Extreme will not, then this confirms that the AirPort Extreme does not have the capability to connect to the type of fiber connection that you have.

Airport Extreme setup for ATT fiber modem/router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.