Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calculating balance in Numbers

I have three columns. From left to right they are Credit, Debit, and Balance. Each row has two entries: either Credit or Debit, and Balance. Balance should be calculated by either adding Credit to the Balance in the previous row, or subtracting Debit from the Balance in the previous row. This seems very straightforward, but I find no clue how to do this in Help. I'm guessing that I cannot name any specific cells because this process must keep moving down the columns as I add more entries. Is Numbers able to do this?

Numbers v. 10.3.9 (Big Sur)

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:50 PM

Using the example in my earlier post:

The yellow filled dot at the centre o the bottom edge of cell D4 is the Fill control.

Hover the pointer near the bottom of D4 to make it appear.

Grab the dot with thep ointer and drag down to fill the formula into the rest of the cells in column D.

You'll see no immediate change, due to the IF switch suppressing calculation until the row of column B or C has a value entered.

Same table after entries in C5 and B6. Also displaying (below the table) the formula, as it appears in D1.

Adding a new row to the bottom of the table automatically copied the formula to the new row, and adusts it to fit that location.:

This automatic function will also work with Yellowbox's example, and with SGIII's example.

Regards,

Barry

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 8:50 PM in response to mountainshack

Using the example in my earlier post:

The yellow filled dot at the centre o the bottom edge of cell D4 is the Fill control.

Hover the pointer near the bottom of D4 to make it appear.

Grab the dot with thep ointer and drag down to fill the formula into the rest of the cells in column D.

You'll see no immediate change, due to the IF switch suppressing calculation until the row of column B or C has a value entered.

Same table after entries in C5 and B6. Also displaying (below the table) the formula, as it appears in D1.

Adding a new row to the bottom of the table automatically copied the formula to the new row, and adusts it to fit that location.:

This automatic function will also work with Yellowbox's example, and with SGIII's example.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 9, 2021 11:51 PM in response to mountainshack

Here's an example:

Table has two header rows.

Starting Balance is entered in D1

Debits entered as positive values in column B

Credits entered as positive values in column C.

Formula shown below the table is entered in cell D3, and filled down as far as needed.

D3: IF(AND(B3="",C3=""),"",D$1−SUM(B$3:B3)+SUM(C$3:C3))

Core formula, shown in bold, calculates the current balance to 'this row'.

The core formula is wrapped in an IF statement that suppresses calculation and returns a null string to cells in rows where neither column B nor column C has received an entry.

Entries in either column or in both columns will trigger calculation on that row.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 11, 2021 11:27 PM in response to mountainshack

You're welcome.

You'll also find good information regarding Numbers's supported functions, their uses, and their syntax in the Function Browser. The Browser opens in the right sidebar when you click on any cell and type an =.

Double-clicking the name of a function in the list puts that function in the Formula Editor.

Happy studies!

Regards,

Barry

Calculating balance in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.