Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 3 iMessage Changes from iMessage Blue to SMS Green

I bought an iPad Air 3 at the end of November 2020. The iPad Air 3 had iPad OS14.3. The Messages app worked perfectly. After updating to iPad OS 14.4 in February 2021, the iPad Air 3 Messages app started to act up and would send iMessage texts (blue) and then, within a few minutes, it would change to SMS (green). I have been texting with an iPhone user who lives with me so I’m not blocked. I've checked his iPhone and everything is in order.

The weird thing is that sometimes my iPad Air 3 keeps a text in iMessage (blue bubble) and sometimes it switches a text to SMS. There's no rhyme or reason. So the text thread on my iPad is part iMessage and part SMS and the conversation is out of order where the text bubble changed colour from blue to green.  

For weeks, I tried all the fixes possible that I found online but this issue still it persists. It only occurs if I text from my iPad Air 3, but it also changes the texts to a green bubble on my iPhone and MacBook Pro. 

If I originate text messages on my iPhone or MacBook Pro, it stays in iMessage so there is no issues on those devices. I think this is a bug on my iPad Air 3 after installing iPad OS 14.4 and I don’t want to go through the hassle of restoring the iPad Air 3 to factory settings only to find out that the iMessage issue is still there. Does anyone else have this issue with iMessage? Any thoughts?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 11:51 AM

Well, updating wouldn’t leave you any worse off than you already are. iOS 14.4.1 was released on Monday. You could try updating.

If nothing else works for you and nobody chimes in with other ideas, use the Get Support link in the upper right corner of this page and ask for help from Apple.

Or just use this link here.

https://getsupport.apple.com/

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 11:51 AM in response to djm-33

Well, updating wouldn’t leave you any worse off than you already are. iOS 14.4.1 was released on Monday. You could try updating.

If nothing else works for you and nobody chimes in with other ideas, use the Get Support link in the upper right corner of this page and ask for help from Apple.

Or just use this link here.

https://getsupport.apple.com/

Mar 10, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Demo

Yes, I have done that a couple of times. In fact, I redid it this morning. Turned off text message forwarding on the iPhone, signed out of Messages on all devices, rebooted and then signed in. I tested and it didn't fix it at all. It's so frustrating because I can't find a fix and I'm afraid that I'll be stuck with this Messages issue on my iPad Air 3 even if I update with the next iPad OS iteration.

Mar 10, 2021 12:08 PM in response to djm-33

It’s worth a shot to get help from Apple. I had another thought just now. Does this happen no matter where you use iMessage or only on your own WiFi network? If it only happens at your home network, you could try rebooting your router. It can’t hurt to try even though you aren’t having problems connecting to the internet.

Mar 10, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Demo

I have a WiFi only iPad Air 3 and I use it only at home. After the iOS 14.4 update, I got a notification on my iPad under the WiFi section in Settings that my WiFi had "Weak Security" and to configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security. I checked and my Linksys 7500 router settings and it doesn't have that option. I checked and there are no new router updates. I can't get rid of that message on my iPad either. I should be able to opt out of Apple's suggested router setting if I so choose. My WiFi works great and I had no problem with Messages until I updated my iPad Air 3 to iOS 14.4. I wish I could go back to iOS 14.3 but Apple stopped signing it awhile ago. I was hoping iOS 14.4.1 would resolve it, but it didn't and that "Weak Security" message is still there.

Mar 12, 2021 7:55 AM in response to djm-33

I did a chat with Apple Support and he did a diagnostics and everything was okay. We did some more checks and he suggested I restore my iPad Air 3.

I restored the iPad Air 3 yesterday and it took all day. I tested Messages this morning on my iPad and it still ends up sending SMS instead of iMessage. If I text on my iPad Air 3, the text turns from iMessage blue to SMS green. If I do another text a few seconds later from my iPhone or MacBook Pro, the text is sent iMessage and stays iMessage so it's not a WiFi issue.

I have tested with another iPhone user and the same thing happens. First iMessage blue and then SMS green and also some texts that stay iMessage in the conversation. I really want to return my iPad Air 3 for another one, but I bought it November 26, 2020 from Best Buy. This really sucks.

Mar 12, 2021 1:55 PM in response to Demo

Demo, thank you so much for trying to help me. I really appreciate it. I feel as if I'm the only one with this Messages app issue and I'm feeling a bit lonely lol. It's been an exhausting troubleshooting exercise that I have done for weeks to no avail.

I have done two Apple Support chats. I have also had an Apple tech phone support and she said she will be escalating the case to the next level. She did a sys log so I'll see what they find or not find. I'll trying to be hopeful. I'll post if I find out anything. Thanks again. Take care.

iPad Air 3 iMessage Changes from iMessage Blue to SMS Green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.