Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DELETING MULTIPLE TEXT MESSAGES AT ONCE

I've tried everything I know to delete more than one text message at a time. Has this ability been removed?

Thanks!!

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 5:48 AM

Hi Julie,

Thanks for clarifying your question with additional info, we really appreciate it!

You are correct, deleting multiple messages or conversations is not an option with macOS.

However, what you can do, is if you use Messages in iCloud, messages are synced between devices which use the same Apple ID and have the feature enabled. If multiple messages are deleted from your iPhone, they will also be deleted from your Mac.

Use Messages in iCloud

How to delete messages in iCloud

Apple does read feedback, so you can leave your feedback about the macOS Messages app. Here's the link: Feedback Messages

You won't get a reply, but it will be forwarded to the correct group to read.

Have a fabulous weekend!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 5:48 AM in response to REJZERRN

Hi Julie,

Thanks for clarifying your question with additional info, we really appreciate it!

You are correct, deleting multiple messages or conversations is not an option with macOS.

However, what you can do, is if you use Messages in iCloud, messages are synced between devices which use the same Apple ID and have the feature enabled. If multiple messages are deleted from your iPhone, they will also be deleted from your Mac.

Use Messages in iCloud

How to delete messages in iCloud

Apple does read feedback, so you can leave your feedback about the macOS Messages app. Here's the link: Feedback Messages

You won't get a reply, but it will be forwarded to the correct group to read.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Mar 11, 2021 3:50 PM in response to REJZERRN

Hi REJZERRN,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! We see you have a question about deleting messages in the Messages app, and we'd like to help.

The steps are different for deleting a message and for deleting a conversation. Take a look at this article for how to do both:

Use Messages with your Mac

Scroll down to the end, to the section titled "Delete a message or conversation".

If you have trouble with the steps, restart your Mac and try again.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Take care!

Mar 12, 2021 4:31 AM in response to mingoslkd

Thank you for your note.

Let me see if I can be more clear.

On my iPhone 11 max pro (and ones I've had in the past), I'm able to click EDIT, SELECT MESSAGES, & delete multiple messages at once. This cannot be done on my Mac that is updated with Big Sur. Holding down Control, Shift, Cmd etc does not work. Each message has to be deleted one at a time. (That is unless someone can give me the solution).

Have a great day!

Julie

DELETING MULTIPLE TEXT MESSAGES AT ONCE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.