Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple care lost and theft

I purchased the apple car lost and theft plan thinking my deductible would be 150 if anything ever happened. I lost my phone and have to pay 269 for the replacement. Why the price change?

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 7:52 PM

Sorry, no idea. According to the USA web site the loss or theft fee is $149 USD. You’d have to contact Apple support or the insurer for information about any changes to terms or fees.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone/

7 replies

Mar 10, 2021 7:52 PM in response to Jvarel17y

Damaging a phone can let Apple take it back and either fix it(and reselling it) or recycle parts within, earning a certain amount of money for that, but losing one means that Apple doesn’t receive your phone, which makes them lose some money too. This is why the price is increased for a lost iPhone replacement, so that they can balance profits and losses.

Mar 10, 2021 8:08 PM in response to superstanley31

Yes, but AppleCare+ with loss and theft is an insurance policy, underwritten by an insurance company. So the fee should be known and standardized as it only applies in the country where purchased and where the (regulated) insurance company does business.

Currently, AppleCare+ with loss and theft is only available in the USA and Japan. And in the USA the insurer is Asurion and their indicated deductible in the document I linked is $149 USD.

This is not a standard warranty replacement. This is an insurance covered replacement, and the insurance deductible should be $149 USD. Apple partnered with an insurance company in order to offer the AppleCare+ with loss and theft coverage policy. The replacement is covered by the insurer, not Apple.

Mar 10, 2021 8:50 PM in response to Jvarel17y

Jvarel17y wrote:

This is exactly what I saw when I purchased apple care. 150 for the replacement. I ended up having to pay 269 for the replacement

Sorry I cannot offer anything to explain that. You need to start by asking Assurant about the deductible change or contact apple support about it. Everything online I can finder indicates the deductible would be $149, so no idea why yours is higher.

Apple care lost and theft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.