Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can new iMacs run older OS?

I want to get a new iMac, but most of the software I need to use isn't ready for Big Sur. Can I load older OS in a brand new machine?

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 7:54 PM

8 replies

Mar 12, 2021 8:56 AM in response to David Coffin1

BTW and as an FYI. This has been the case with Mac OS since it's inception well over 20 years ago. The general rule is that version of Mac OS the computer shipped with is also the earliest it can possibly run. If your 3rd party apps are not keeping up with technology this is a good hint to you that you may want to begin researching apps to replace them with.

Apple has beta program on all versions of Mac OS that developers can participate in. If your 3rd party apps are not participating in this program they are boxing their users (you for example) into a corner. Please look for alternatives and also urge the developers to keep their apps up-to-date.

Mar 12, 2021 9:22 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yup, I was just dreaming there was some sort of exception or work-around; dumb question really:)

But the idea that running the latest OS is more important than keeping access to deeply complex and already mature, plus highly personalized apps that one uses everyday and has a long history with, is nonsense IMO. These are the real tools my computer is basically just a tool-case for. And what they need is what I give 'em; looking for replacements is NOT an option. Also the general rule for most pro users since the inception of the Mac OS.

And if it was just a few developers who weren't keeping up with Apple, I'd be wiling to blame them. But when it's nearly ALL of the main devs in a single industry who 4 months in, haven't yet managed it, well, it looks like a Apple problem to me.

But I expect to be very happy with my new (old) tool case; Apple FTW here, no doubt:)

Mar 12, 2021 9:57 AM in response to David Coffin1

There is one option that is open to you that I forgot. You can install Parallels on the computer which would allow you to run older versions of Mac OS and then also include your legacy software. If you are not familiar with this solution please visit https://www.parallels.com/.

Parallels allows you to run multiple OS's simultaneously. For most apps this is fine unless they are very GPU intensive like CA, CAM, 3D gaming etc... Those types of apps will still run but will not have the speed.

Mar 12, 2021 7:09 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Good to know, thanks! But I wouldn't want to depend on this being a totally transparent, trouble-free solution (iow, by buying a Big Sur machine) without hearing that it'd been tested thoroughly by some folks who are experts in computer music apps, with all the audio and MIDI drivers, external devices, and inter-app connections these apps require working perfectly.

Can new iMacs run older OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.