Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My battery health is now 83%. How more it will take to come down below 80%?

Hi

My battery health is now 83%. How many more months it will take the battery to come down below 80%.

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 9:39 PM

Yes, 83% of the maximum battery capacity is probably normal two years of using an iPhone.

the maximum capacity is displayed as 83%, it means that when you charge your phone to 100%, only 83 cells are being charged as opposed to 100 cells getting charged.

4 replies

Mar 10, 2021 11:11 PM in response to mail2aliasgar

Keep in mind that all rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they "chemically age" (note that is not only just the passage of time; there are different factors, the main one is the number of charge cycles).

In order to slow down that inevitable process I would suggest you to:

• If possible, keep the battery level of your iPhone between 40% and 80% (charging below/above those values is more "stressful" for the battery)
  • If your battery level goes down to 20%, turn on "low power mode" (reduces display brightness, optimizes device performance, minimizes system animations, etc.) to avoid to completely drain your battery (0%). You should not let your battery drain to zero, because it will damage your lithium-ion battery. If that happens, charge your iPhone as soon as possible!
  • You can fast charge your iPhone (8 and later models) when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and a compatible adapter (18W* or higher). In terms of battery level, this means up to 50% battery in around 30 minutes. Unless there is some technical problem with your battery or with your charger electronics, using a fast charger will not do any long-term major damage to your battery. However, if fast charging is not needed (e.g. overnight, when you sleep), I still recommend you to not enable it and use a lower power adapter (e.g. 5W power adapter)

Some extra tips:

• If possible, always use a Wi-Fi connection instead of a cellular network (Wi-Fi uses less power)
  • When you use your iPhone, turn on "auto-brightness" (it adjusts your screen to lighting conditions automatically)
  • Always update your iPhone to the latest software (updates often include evergy-saving technologies)
  • Avoid charging or leaving your iPhone in hot environments (e.g. directly under the sun), because heat is the enemy number one for batteries. And if you notice that your iPhone gets hot when you charge it, take it out of the case (certain styles of cases may generate excess heat)
  • If you are going to store your iPhone for a long period, keep it "half-charged" (50%)

* 20W or higher for iPhone 12

Mar 10, 2021 9:26 PM in response to mail2aliasgar

From one week to 6 months. There is no set forecast for battery health deterioration. This is because there are so many factors that the answer depends on that they are nearly impossible to compute by users like you and me. If you begin to feel battery related negative effects on your iPhone then start the battery changing process with Apple even before you hit the 80% number.

Axel F.

Mar 10, 2021 9:29 PM in response to mail2aliasgar

The rate at which battery health depletes is dependent on many factors.

• How many times you deplete and recharge (cycle) the battery in a given timeframe
  • Your general use of the iPhone can be more or less battery draining, thus causing cycles to occur at a faster or slower rate
  • Whether or not you fast charge or use a standard, lower wattage charger

There is no appropriate generalization to use as an answer for your question unfortunately, as it is a very different story from one person to the next since we all use our devices differently.

My battery health is now 83%. How more it will take to come down below 80%?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.