You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No History in Safari.

I'm on a Mac Pro, running Mojave 10.14.6, using Safari 14.0.3, and as of last Friday, Safari has stopped maintaining a history. There's a history of viewed sites for March 5, and nothing after that. I did the usual-stopped all apps, shut down, removed History and Safari prefs and trashed them, then restarted. No change. It's such a sudden switch that there's a good chance it happened because of something I did on the 5th or the 6th, but no idea what. Should I just yank Safari and download a new one?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 6:31 PM

Hello Birck Cox,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with Safari no longer saving your browsing history. If you haven't already, make sure you're not using private browsing: Use Private Browsing in Safari on Mac

Also, check the setting for "Remove history items" in Safari preferences by using these steps: Change General preferences in Safari on Mac

If that doesn't help we'll want to narrow this down a bit by testing in safe mode and a new user account. Safe mode will let us know if a third-party app or process is causing this to happen: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Testing in a new user account will let us know if this issue is system-wide or only in your user account. Safari isn't an app that can be deleted and reinstalled itself. To repair an issue with Safari you must reinstall macOS: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2021 6:31 PM in response to Birck Cox

Hello Birck Cox,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with Safari no longer saving your browsing history. If you haven't already, make sure you're not using private browsing: Use Private Browsing in Safari on Mac

Also, check the setting for "Remove history items" in Safari preferences by using these steps: Change General preferences in Safari on Mac

If that doesn't help we'll want to narrow this down a bit by testing in safe mode and a new user account. Safe mode will let us know if a third-party app or process is causing this to happen: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Testing in a new user account will let us know if this issue is system-wide or only in your user account. Safari isn't an app that can be deleted and reinstalled itself. To repair an issue with Safari you must reinstall macOS: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

Mar 13, 2021 3:42 AM in response to TammyW_03

That did it. I apparently had set up private browsing by mistake at some point, and there weren't any other indications that I was in that mode, but I changed all the settings away from private browsing and got the history file back. I live with one other person, who has her own Mac and never messes with mine, so Private Browsing doesn't serve much purpose for this computer. Plus, I've come to depend on the History feature. Thanks for the help and the details.

No History in Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.