Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download photos

I've asked this before. This is the update. I just bought a MacBook Pro (Big Sur, M1, 512) for the space, but I can't download photos from my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. I've chatted with Apple tech, done a live phone call with an Apple tech, and done a live phone call with a Canon tech. Here's the situation: I can connect my camera to my MacBook with a USB cord; the laptop recognizes the camera in devices, but won't highlight it or download the photos in my camera. I've downloaded drivers and tried Image Capture. Same thing -- can't establish a workable connection with Photos OR Image Capture. I'm ready to go back and get another laptop altogether. Would love a simple solution to this. Thanks, all.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 11:54 PM

Hi

Can you import the files, if you take the memory card from the camera and put it in a card reader? This is how I import my pictures from my full size camera anyway, since I find it more convenient than taking the camera to the computer and connecting it up. Also sometimes draining the battery because I forget to switch it off afterwards etc (My camera doesn't power down when connected to USB).

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 11:54 PM in response to norm129

Hi

Can you import the files, if you take the memory card from the camera and put it in a card reader? This is how I import my pictures from my full size camera anyway, since I find it more convenient than taking the camera to the computer and connecting it up. Also sometimes draining the battery because I forget to switch it off afterwards etc (My camera doesn't power down when connected to USB).

Mar 13, 2021 2:26 AM in response to norm129

Canon Support should be able to help with downloading from the camera. It is strange that they had nothing to offer. It is mostly a problem of the camera being in the wrong mode or needing to be connected to power or having to select the correct card, if the camera has two card slots.

I prefer to download using a card reader anyway. This avoids problems, when the battery of the camera gets low (this can cause data loss, if you are importing with the option "delete after import"), also problems with the mode or the interpretation of the exif dates. When I download directly from my old Canon EOS 5D Mark II, the photos would show up with a different timezone in Aperture or Photos than when downloading with a card reader. I found it much safer to download using a card reader.

Can't download photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.