Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur does not recognize any of my external hard drives

I have a 2018 Mac Mini, and it came with Catalina, I have several external hard drives (Seagate and WD)

Before I updated to Big Sur I was able to access all the information from all my External Drives at all times, but after upgrading I am not able to access any of the drives since they don't mount no more, I've tried everything without any luck, now I just feel like this Mac Mini was a big waste of my money... I can perfectly access all my drives from my iMac which I am still running Mohave. I thought updates were supposed to make things better, this is BS!

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 6:45 PM

7 replies

Mar 12, 2021 1:34 AM in response to cschrils

Thank you for the prompt response. All drives are formatted Mac Extended Journaled. No partitions on any of the drives. I've tried disk utility and terminal without any luck. I know the drives are working fine because I can access all from my iMac running Mohave when I connect the drives to it.

All the drives are connected to 2 usb hubs which connects to the Mac mini USB port. I was doing some research online and it seems to be a Big Sur problem, I used to be able to mount all drives before updating (mac mini came with Catalina installed). Thanks again.

Big Sur does not recognize any of my external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.