Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't boot, need additional tips

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) with 3TB Fusion drive.

My wife's late 2014 27" 5K iMac crashed/froze last night. She rebooted and went to bed as it was past midnight. She came down this morning and it was on the Apple logo with the progress bar about 50%. She tried rebooting and same thing.

I have tried the following:

• Booting into safe mode - Progress bar until about 50%, then no progress
  • Booting into recovery - Same deal, progress bar until about 50% and then no progress
  • Reset SMC - Pulling the power cord and all peripherals, holding the power button for 10 seconds. Same result
  • Reset NVRAM/PRAM - Same result
  • Booting to Internet Recovery Mode - Globe progress completes, moves on to apple logo with progress bar and actually gets through it! But then it freezes on the language selection screen (spinning beach ball until even that freezes) - Did this 3 times and the same result every time.
  • Created bootable media - Downloaded Big Sur to a USB drive and created a boot drive from it, I can get to the boot loader screen and select the USB but then apple logo and progress bar, only progresses to about 25%
  • Ran diagnostics as per u/CraigJDuffy suggestion. No issues found, Ref ADP000
  • Tried to boot in target disk mode, doesn't show on connected computer and, in fact, crashes connected computer

I'm at my wits end, I don't know what else to try. It doesn't even appear that I can take the nuclear route and reformat it. I'm not even sure what the issue could be. You'd think that if it was a logic board issue that it wouldn't even get as far as it does.

But if it's a hard drive issue, why wouldn't it boot from the USB? Even if I went DIY and pulled it apart, I'm no closer to knowing what the issue is.

We don't have an Official Apple Genius Bar/Service Center nearby (Stavanger, Norway) which means we'd have to ship it out. Don't even want to know how much that would cost.

I'm hoping anyone can reach out with any other solutions that I may not have tried. I'm desperate. I'm not opposed to nuking the data, we have everything backed up.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 9:18 AM

It appears you have gone through many of the steps in If your Mac won't turn on or start up. Please look through the article to see if there is anything you missed. Once you have exhausted that list then you know you likely have a hardware issue which means the next step is to take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be diagnosed. A forum cannot assist on hardware really other than to point you to your local AASP. Please use the following link to find an AASP in your general area. AASP Locator

Good luck!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 9:18 AM in response to wavecrest486

It appears you have gone through many of the steps in If your Mac won't turn on or start up. Please look through the article to see if there is anything you missed. Once you have exhausted that list then you know you likely have a hardware issue which means the next step is to take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be diagnosed. A forum cannot assist on hardware really other than to point you to your local AASP. Please use the following link to find an AASP in your general area. AASP Locator

Good luck!

Mac won't boot, need additional tips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.