Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brother passed away. I want access to his phone

My dad would like to access his phone and laptop but we do not have the passcode

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:03 PM

There is a process Apple have for retrieving a deceased person's Apple ID, though it requires a court order and knowledge of what the Apple ID is.

Unfortunately, the passcode is stored only on the individual device, so there is no way of retrieving it: it's necessary to erase the phone: please see If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support - you will have to get access to the Apple ID to do this (obviously if the passcode could simply be bypassed there would be no point in having it in the first place).

if your brother had an iCloud account the data on the phone may have been synced to it, and that might be retrievable once you have the Apple ID and password.

So you will need Apple's process:

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 2:03 PM in response to farheen93

There is a process Apple have for retrieving a deceased person's Apple ID, though it requires a court order and knowledge of what the Apple ID is.

Unfortunately, the passcode is stored only on the individual device, so there is no way of retrieving it: it's necessary to erase the phone: please see If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support - you will have to get access to the Apple ID to do this (obviously if the passcode could simply be bypassed there would be no point in having it in the first place).

if your brother had an iCloud account the data on the phone may have been synced to it, and that might be retrievable once you have the Apple ID and password.

So you will need Apple's process:

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

My brother passed away. I want access to his phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.