Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's my keyboard layout

Hi,

recently got used iMac model 2017 and cannot recognise what's the keyboard layout. Here a picture, can you help me?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 6:13 PM

It seems to be a French keyboard, but someone has moved certain keys around so that it is QWERTY instead of AZERTY. The result is that there may be no Input Source which will let you match the screen output with what is printed on the keys, so you would need to make a custom one.

10 replies

Mar 13, 2021 1:15 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for your replies mates, as far as I can understand previous owner messed up the keys and eventually re-arranged around.

Thanks for the custom layouts, appreciated your help on this.

Anyway I'm evaluating to buy a set of replacement keys that can match my country layout and replace the ones that do not match my country layout.

I've been through a couple of video tutorials on YouTube: popping up keys and replace seems not rocket science even for a novice like me.

Bye

Mar 13, 2021 1:35 PM in response to Valerio Girotto

Valerio Girotto wrote:

Anyway I'm evaluating to buy a set of replacement keys that can match my country layout and replace the ones that do not match my country layout.

Is your country layout French? Is so, you don't necessarily need new keys, you can just transfer the existing ones:

A, Z, Q, W, M should be clear. Then ?/, goes where M was, ./; goes where ?/, was, and //: goes where ./; was.

Mar 13, 2021 1:38 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi,

unfortunately I'm Italian, therefore certain key labels are different form the ones on the actual keyboard.

I'm currently running IT layout, just because I can type even without looking at the keyboard itself and my fingers know where the characters are positioned.

But as soon as I give laptop to relatives, they are stuck in panic :-)

Mar 13, 2021 1:56 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

it was a good deal, and I recognised a not standard keyboard form the beginning, but accepted it without complains.

Replace full keyboard is quite complicated, basically I've to dismantle the complete Mac to access and replace keyboard.

I'd definitely avoid this, since I might break or mess up the components.

IFixit classifies keyboard replacement as "complex", so in my view better to try something less invasive and more conservative.

Bye

what's my keyboard layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.