Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overexposed video using iPhone 4

I took video on my daughter's dance recital from 5 rows away from the stage.

No one had any faces! They were all completely washed out! The detail of the scuff marks and tape spots on the stage were captured exquisitely, but the dancers were white silhouettes and sometimes their colorful costumes came out as bleach white ghost images. I couldn't avoid getting the tops of the heads of people sitting in front of me, but surely the software ought to adjust the exposure of the image to capture the movement at the center of the frame.

I am sorely disappointed in how the iPhone 4 performed as a video camera. Does anyone have any idea how I can avoid a repeat of this disaster?

Mac mini 2009, MacBook Pro, 3 iPhones, AppleTV, iPod nano, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 5:02 PM

7 replies

Jul 30, 2010 12:33 PM in response to David Trevas

I have the same problem.

To some extent, touching an area to focus will also adjust the exposure in both the camera and video (in my experience of all of 2 weeks!), but that does not work in the specific situation we are having (me too!). On a huge dark stage, the focus area is too large and does not compensate for the huge lighting differential and of course the constantly moving elements in the scene.

I have not found an app for the iphone 4 video (yet...) that allows you to manually set the exposure. I am assuming that the phone is too new and an app with a manual exposure override will show up eventually... or maybe someone will come and advertise one here 🙂

Aug 18, 2010 4:23 AM in response to David Trevas

Lighting... It's always about lighting. Dark hall, bright stage? You need to meter an object that gives the best balance. In this case i would think it would have been the faces. Just tap the object you want to look right. If that doesn't get you what you want yo may need to tap other objects to find a balance that works. Some other cameras are better at this but the Ip4 camera can take great video if you learn it's ways. That said i believe if you have a case that covers the camera lens you can get strange behavior. Also I would find another person that has an iP4 and do some side by side tests. If yours is different then take it back. I have shot some wonderful low light video with this phone. A great one in a concert setting. Bright stage lights are tricky. The dynamic range of light is pretty big. If the camera is metered for a mellow stage then a spot catches a costume or a face it will blow out. I find I re-meter, tap an object I want right, a lot during a shoot.

Aug 18, 2010 4:28 AM in response to lyricon

No this is not about lighting, I'm a photographer myself and know something about it. This is about iPhone being quite unpredictable when it comes to exposure, and that what's shown on the screen is not the same as shown in iMovie on the mac. I have clips that are perfect in exposure, followed by a clip 30 s later of same subject which is at least 1 step too bright.

Aug 20, 2010 5:28 AM in response to Dave Hutch

{quote:title=Dave Hutch wrote:}
Try the app called "AlmostDSLR". It has separate Exposure, Focus and WB controls for both still images and video
I'm sure there are other apps too but that's the only one I've downloaded and used

{quote}

Bought it, this seems like a good companion. At least it gives some control over exposure. Thanks for the tip!

Overexposed video using iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.